Last year, Sonos brought Dolby Atmos into living rooms with a premium full-size soundtrack, Arc. Now the company’s compact and affordable soundbar gets a state-of-the-art 3D audio upgrade. In addition to support for Dolby Atmos, the Sonos Beam Gen 2 comes with HDMI eARC, enhanced processing power with a new range of speakers and improved sound, a more sleek design, NFC for seamless setup, AirPlay 2 and more.
Sonos described Beam Gen 2 in detail in a press release this morning:
Sonos today announced Beam (Gen 2), a new version of its industry-leading compact smart soundtrack for TV, music, games and more. The new Beam provides an upgraded, more comprehensive sound experience with greater depth and clarity, as well as support for Dolby Atmos.
Here are the features and benefits of Beam Gen 2:
- 3D audio with Dolby Atmos: Impressive sound technology that puts you in the center of the action, whether you experience planes as if flying over you, hear footsteps moving around the room or feel the score all around you.
- Enhanced sound, same size: With more processing power and a newly developed gradual array of speakers, Beam directs and localizes sound around the living experience room. The speaker is now also compatible with HDMI eARC on your TV, so you can experience your favorite movies and games in even higher definition sound with support for new audio formats.
- Elegant design: An updated polycarbonate grille that is precisely perforated allows the speaker to sound great and fit seamlessly into your home, just like the Sonos Arc.
- Simple, safer setup: With just two cables and new NFC features, the setup is seamless and you’ll be able to listen in minutes. Simply open the Sonos app, follow a few queries and tap your phone on Beam.
- Sustainable sound: The new Beam features sustainable packaging, including premium uncoated kraft paper, a 97% durable paper gift box and disposable foam.
Beam Gen 2 also includes Sonos ’Trueplay smart car EQ as well as AirPlay 2 support making it a great option for Apple users.
The Beam Gen 2 is available for pre-orders as low as $ 449 directly from Sonos and select retailers with a new soundtrack arriving from October 5th.
Sonos also teased the introduction of “Ultra HD and Dolby Atmos Music later this year via Amazon Music”.
We had hoped that the new Beam would work with Apple Music Dolby Atmos / Spatial Audio and Lossless Audio content, but Sonos confirmed to 9to5Mac that this is not the case for now. We’re keeping our fingers crossed in the near future we’ll see Sonos ’partner with Apple about this.
FTC: We use automatic affiliate links to make money. More.
For more news about Apple, check out 9to5Mac on YouTube:
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.