Do you find the menu bar items on your Mac screen too small or difficult to read? If you want to increase the size of the menu bar (or less), you can change the size of the menu bar, which affects the font size in the menu bar on your Mac.
The ability to resize menus is an accessibility option in newer versions of Mac system software, so you’ll need to use MacOS Monterey, Big Sur, or newer versions.
How to resize the menu bar in MacOS
Assuming you’re using a supported version of macOS, here’s how you can resize the menu bar:
- ”Open“ System Preferences ”on your Mac from the Dock or Apple menu.
- When the system settings panel window opens, click “Accessibility” to continue.
- This will display an overview of the accessibility settings for macOS. Select “Display” here in the left pane.
- You will now find the “Menu Bar Size” option and it is set to “Default”. Click on it and select “Large” if you want to increase the size.
- When you try to exit accessibility settings, you’ll be prompted to sign out of your Mac for the changes to take effect. Click “Sign out now.”
- After logging in to your Mac again, you should notice that the text size on the menu bar is slightly larger than it used to be. Here is a comparison before and after.
That’s about all you need to do to resize the menu bar on your Mac.
As you can see in the screenshots before and after, the difference between the two menu bar sizes is very subtle, it may be barely noticeable to some users. But if you look closely, you will see that the size of the actual menu bar remains the same, while the menu bar items, font size, and icons have resized.
This subtle difference can pay off if you use a Retina display, a 4K display, or some other large display, as it can be difficult to read text on smaller screens that work at high resolutions, or if you use a screen from a distance.
The menu bar can also be further customized to hide and show the menu bar, or in terms of which icons appear to its right.
Similarly, if you feel that the size of the Dock is smaller, you may be interested in customizing and enlarging the Dock on your Mac. You can also zoom in on Dock icons while holding the cursor over them. Unlike the menu bar size settings, the difference in adjusting the size of your Dock can be very obvious.
Do you appreciate the subtle difference in menu bar sizes with this setting? Do you prefer a default size or a larger size?
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.