When you want to know how to make a slide show, you have many options to consider before you actually make a real slide show. There is a slide show of pictures, which is the most popular, but also those that mix photos and video.
To create slide shows on a Mac, it’s best to use the appropriate slideshow app. Here we will take you through how to make a slide show on your Mac, and photo and video slides.
How to make an amazing photo slideshow on a Mac
Here are a few things to keep in mind when you want to create a slideshow:
- Use high quality photos. Keep in mind that when you make a slide show, all eyes will be on the visuals. Use the highest quality images you have for presentations. If you need to improve the quality of your photos – adjust blur, vibrancy or contrast – you can use apps like Squash. It also has great group photo processing capabilities if you want to edit multiple photos at once.
- When you don’t have pixel density images, make a collage. Sometimes you just don’t have the best picture quality. These can be old images, scanned images or something you have extracted from the internet. There will definitely be times when you just won’t have really sharp images. When that happens, try making a collage of images, and then use that collage as one of your frames in the slide show.
- Videos are a great option. Any good video slide creator will be the same as the one for photos, but a few things should be kept in mind. First, try using the appropriate ratio, usually 3: 2 or 16: 9. Always make sure it is of high quality and try to keep the video short, especially if you use both photos and video. CameraBag Pro has a great set of tools for cropping and enhancing videos with professional filters and preset ones.
- Soundtrack is important. If you’re doing a longer slideshow, a soundtrack can be a great way to liven things up. Appearing on the screen can be tedious for viewers after a while, and adding a soundtrack can be a good way to keep them interested. Just keep in mind that if your video has sound, you will need to shorten the soundtrack or specify the playing time of the video at the end of the song.
Prepare photos and videos for your presentation
Before we start with the instructions on how to make a slide show on a Mac, let’s make sure you have all the ingredients. If you want to create a photo slide show, resize all photos and adjust their quality in advance – it’s important that they all look equally good on the big screen.
Squash can help you resize, convert and enhance photos:
- Drag and drop images to Squash
- Allow resizing and adjust width and height
- Enable settings and effects to enhance your photos
- Click Export Images when done.
CameraBag Pro will help you shorten your videos (as already mentioned, it is best to use short videos for slides). Also, the app has stunning preset settings curated by professional videographers. You can choose the one you like and apply it consistently to your slide videos.
How to make a slide show on a Mac in Photos
Now that you have a package of photos and / or videos ready, let’s move on to creating a slide show in Apple’s original Photos app. There are two options: you can play the current slide show – Photos even provide a few custom themes and songs for quick presentations – or you can create your own custom slideshow project, which allows for more customizations.
Here’s how to play the current slides in Photos:
- In the Photos app, open the Library or your custom photo folder
- Select all the photos you want to include in the slide show
- Right-click the selection and select Play Slides
- Choose a theme and a song
- Click Play Slideshow.
Here’s how to create a slide project in Photos:
- In Photos, select photos from your library or custom folder (you can add or remove photos later)
- From the menu, select File> Create> Slideshow> Photos
- Create a new presentation
- Re-order photos if you wish
- Click the Theme button to select a theme
- Click the Music button to add sound
- Click the Duration button to change the length of the slide show
- Click the Preview button to preview the slides
- Click the Play button to play the slides.
How to make a slide show on a Mac in a preview
There is another quick method to create simple slides using the Preview application. The preview has a basic editing tool, so it’s a good solution if you want to add text to your slides. Here’s how to make a slide show in a preview:
- Go to Browse> File> Open
- Add your photos
- Add text notes or crop your photos as needed
- Click View> Slideshow
- Click Play.
How to create slides online
There are also some online options for creating slides. One of the simplest is Google Slides, which is available on Google Drive. In Drive, just go to New> Google Slides. It’s a little more tedious because you have to add new slides and then add each image to those slides, but it’s an easy way to create and share slides online.
Although there are simple, free options from Google and Apple, they are limited. The main goal of Apple’s Photos slide feature is to make it easier to create really basic slides. If you want to quickly share a bunch of holiday pictures, this is a great tool. Google Slides is an easy way to manually add photos, and you can quickly create collage slides.
Whichever method you choose, include only high-quality photos and videos in your presentation to look good on the big screen. CameraBag Pro and Squash will help you here. Both apps are free with a seven-day trial of Setapp, a productivity package for Mac and iPhone. After a trial period, Setapp costs just $ 9.99 per month and provides access to 230+ incredibly powerful apps for all types of use cases.
Frequently asked questions about slide shows on Mac
Can I add videos to my presentation?
Yes, if you create a slide show in Photos, you can add videos – just select them from your library. Keep in mind that photos can crop your videos based on the theme you choose, so make sure you pre-crop and customize your videos to get the right scene in the slide show. CameraBag Pro is a great video editing utility, which can help you prepare your videos.
Can I add text to my slides?
You can add text if you create a slide show in the Preview application. After selecting a photo, click the Edit> Text button and a text box will appear on the screen.
How do I delete slides?
If you export your slideshows, they will be saved to your Mac export location. From there you can easily move them to the bucket. And if you’re creating slide shows in Photos, they’ll be saved in Projects in the left sidebar – select a slide show, right-click it, and select Delete.
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.