In November 2020, WhatsApp launched the message disappearance feature in its app. However, the deadline for sending such messages is fixed at 7 days. WhatsApp has now updated this feature and offers options to customize this time limit according to user preferences. Follow this quick guide to learn how to set up missing messages in individual and group conversations with a custom timer. In the meantime, you can also learn to plan messages on WhatsApp.
Also, read | Easy steps to book an Uber taxi using WhatsApp on your phone
Enable the disappearance of messages with a custom timer on WhatsApp
Enable missing messages for all new conversations
WhatsApp allows you to send self-destructive messages that disappear after a certain amount of time. Now with the new update, you can customize the timer for missing messages for all your contacts. Follow these simple steps to enable this for all new WhatsApp conversations. This method will not affect existing chat threads in WhatsApp.
- Open up WhatsApp application on your device.
- Tap on three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Open up Settings and tap Invoice.
- Touch Privacy and scroll down to locate Messages that disappear section.
- Tap below this section Default message meter.
- Select the desired timer for disappearing messages. WhatsApp offers 3 timer options, i.e. 24 hours, 7 days and 90 days.
- That’s it. You have successfully enabled the disappearance of messages on your WhatsApp. Note that this method only allows messages to disappear for all new conversations after you make settings changes. All existing WhatsApp chats remain unchanged.
Enable missing messages for existing conversations
If you’re wondering how to make messages disappear for existing conversations, don’t worry. Follow these quick steps to enable self-destruct messages in existing WhatsApp chat threads.
- Open up WhatsApp on your device.
- Locate and open the chat thread in which you want to enable the disappearance of messages.
- Tap on Profile name in front of the profile picture.
- Scroll down to find Messages that disappear and open it.
- Click on Go on to set up missing messages.
- Select and set the desired message timer.
- That’s it. You have successfully enabled the disappearance of messages for this existing chat.
- You can repeat the same procedure with any of the existing chat threads in WhatsApp.
Enable messages that disappear in group conversations
For new groups
You can also enable the disappear message feature as you create a new group with your participants. Follow these steps to achieve the same on WhatsApp.
- Tap on three points icon in the upper right corner of WhatsApp.
- Create a new group by tapping New group option from the list.
- Add participants your group and continue to the next page.
- Name your new group and tap Messages that disappear.
- Select the desired timer for disappearing messages and tap green check mark button to finalize change.
- Congratulations. You have created a new group with the disappear message function.
For existing groups
If you want to turn on the self-destruct messaging feature for existing groups, you need to follow these quick steps to do the same in WhatsApp.
- Find and open WhatsApp group in which you want to enable this feature.
- Tap on Group name and scroll down to find Messages that disappear.
- Select and set the desired message disappearance timer.
- Congratulations. You have successfully enabled messages to disappear on an existing WhatsApp group.
Bonus: Turn off chats and groups on WhatsApp
WhatsApp also offers the function of excluding conversations and groups in its application. You can watch this short reading for 2 minutes to learn how to turn off conversations and groups on WhatsApp.
So, this is a cover for creating and setting a custom timer for disappearing messages in individual and group conversations on WhatsApp. If this article helped you create your personalized self-destruct messages on WhatsApp, click the Like button and share this with your friends. Follow us for more informative articles like this.
You can also follow us for current technology news on Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group, or subscribe to the latest videos GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.