Want to hide your phone number for new iMessage conversations starting with a Mac? This is something that many users might want to do for privacy reasons. Well, you’ll be glad to know that you can easily do that on your Mac.
If you first set up iMessage on your iPhone, it’s likely that the service uses your phone number by default instead of your Apple ID email address when you access it on your Mac as well. Most users are not allowed to give their personal phone numbers to random people. Therefore, privacy lovers who want to avoid this can switch to an email address instead of their phone numbers for new iMessage conversations.
Using an email address instead of a phone number for iMessage is actually pretty simple in MacOS, so let’s check that out.
How to choose email for new iMessage conversations on Mac
No matter which Mac you own or which version of macOS you are currently using, as long as you have access to iMessage, you can use the following procedure to change the default setting for new conversations. Here’s what you need to do:
- Start by opening the standard Messages app on your Mac from the Dock.
- Then make sure the Messages window is active on the desktop, and then click Messages in the menu bar as shown in the screenshot below.
- Now click on “Preferences” from the drop down menu to continue.
- This will open a new window and take you to the General Preferences panel. Go to the iMessage section from the top menu to continue.
- Here, right at the bottom, you’ll find a setting called “Start new conversations from”. If it is set to your phone number, just click on it.
- You will now be able to see the available email addresses that you can use. Select the desired email address and exit the window.
You’re almost done at this point. As you can see, it is very easy to ensure that your phone number remains hidden.
Keep in mind that people who already have access to your phone number will continue to see you when you send them a message. This change only applies to new conversations you start from your Mac.
This particular setting works best if you have an iCloud email address associated with your Apple ID because you can use it to hide your personal email as well. Still don’t have an iCloud.com email address? No problem. Here’s how you can easily create new iCloud emails on your iPhone, iPad and Mac.
Additionally, there is an option in the same menu that allows you to disable your phone number if necessary. This will stop any further incoming messages to your phone number, including those from your existing contacts.
Have you used this feature for privacy or other reasons? If you also use iMessage for business purposes, have you tried creating another iMessage account and switching between them? Let us know your experiences and share your personal opinions in the comments section below.
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.