Want to add some money to your Apple ID directly from your Mac? It is possible, and serves as a good way for anyone who wants to set a budget to manage their account balance.
With this approach, you can make transactions on iTunes and the App Store without your credit card or PayPal account always being associated with your Apple ID. Instead, you can use your Apple ID balance to purchase apps and subscribe to Apple services such as iCloud and Apple Music.
A valid payment method is required for purchases from Apple, but it provides some more options. For example, you can transfer some money to your Apple ID balance and remove a linked credit card or PayPal account if you have security issues. This situation could be useful if you want to allow your children to download paid apps or subscribe to services without giving them endless access to your credit card. By adding funds to their accounts, you also limit how much money they can spend on the App Store.
Let’s see how you can add funds to your Apple ID from a Mac. You may already be familiar with this process on an iPhone or iPad, so let’s get acquainted with the computer side of things now.
How to add funds to Apple ID on Mac
To add funds to your Apple ID, you’ll need to temporarily add a valid payment method such as your credit card or PayPal account. Once you’ve done that, simply follow the steps below to get started.
- Launch the App Store on your Mac from the Dock.
- This will take you to the Discover section of the App Store. Click here for the name of your Apple ID at the bottom of the left pane.
- Then click on “Show Information” at the top next to the Use Gift Card option as shown in the image below.
- Enter your Apple ID login when prompted to sign in.
- Now scroll down to the Apple Account ID section below the hidden items. Click “Add funds to Apple ID” to continue.
- Select the amount you want to add as your Apple ID balance here. You can enter a custom value by clicking on “Other”. Once you have selected, click on “Next”.
- You will now be asked to confirm the purchase. You will be asked to sign in to your Apple account or use the Touch ID to authenticate your purchase.
There you go. You have successfully added funds to your Apple account.
Now that you’ve added some money to your Apple ID balance, you can remove your associated form of payment from your Apple account and continue shopping from the App Store and subscribing to services until you run out of balance.
This is just one way to add funds to your Apple account. If you don’t want to associate a payment method with your Apple account at all, you can add funds to your Apple ID by sending a gift card via email from another account. This Apple gift card can then be used in the App Store to balance your Apple ID. You could ask your friends or family to do it for you and you could pay them in cash. This method can be used to transfer funds to your child’s Apple account directly from your device.
If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, you may be interested in learning how to add funds to your Apple ID on your iOS / iPadOS device. Are you setting up a new Apple account for one of your children? In that case, you can create an Apple ID even without adding a credit card by simply trying to download a free app from the App Store, which then allows you to access free downloads, and then using the add-on methods we’ve covered, lets you balance those accounts .
Were you able to easily add funds to your Apple account using your Mac? What do you think about using your Apple ID balance to download paid apps and pay subscriptions? Have you tried to buy gift cards in the App Store? Let us know your valuable opinions and share your experiences in the comments section below.
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.