Apple has released macOS Monterey 12.1 for all Mac users using macOS Monterey. Mac users using Big Sur and Catalina will find security updates available as installation options.
This is the first update for macOS Monterey and includes a handful of new features as well as resolving some known issues with macOS Monterey that some users have encountered.
macOS Monterey 12.1 includes support for SharePlay, a feature that allows you to share content such as videos via FaceTime calls. MacOS Monterey 12.1 also solves the tap-to-click problem faced by some trackpad users, the problem with MagSafe charging on the new M1 Pro and m1 Max computers, some problems with the MacBook Pro Notch on the M1 Pro and M1 Max, and much more. Various other bug fixes and small improvements have been made to macOS Monterey 12.1, and full release notes are available below.
However, MacOS Monterey 12.1 does not include support for Universal Control, a feature that allows a single Mac keyboard and mouse to control multiple Macs or iPads. According to Apple, that long-awaited function has now been postponed until “spring 2022.”
How to download update for MacOS Monterey 12.1
Be sure to back up your Mac using Time Machine before installing software updates.
- Go to the Apple menu and select “System Preferences”
- Select “Software Update”
- Select “Install Now” to update macOS Monterey 12.1
Installing macOS Monterey 12.1 will require that Mac be restarted.
Mac users not using macOS Monterey will find macOS Big Sur 11.6.2 and Security Update 2021-0x Catalina available as installation options.
If you’ve been waiting to install macOS Monterey until the first major update was available for the Mac system software release, now is your time. Or, you can always keep postponing the Monterey update until later, when a compelling feature like Universal Control is available.
MacOS Monterey Release Notes 12.1
macOS Monterey 12.1 adds SharePlay, a whole new way to share experiences with family and friends in FaceTime. This update also includes the Apple Music Voice Plan, new security features for kids and parents in messaging, redesigned photo memories, and other features and bug fixes for your Mac.
– SharePlay is a new way to share synchronized FaceTime experiences with content from Apple TV, Apple
Music and other supported applications
– Shared controls give everyone the ability to pause, play, rewind or fast forward
– Smart volume automatically reduces the sound of a movie, TV show or song when you or your friends are talking
– Screen sharing lets everyone in a FaceTime call view photos, browse the web, or help each other
Apple Music Voice Plan
– Apple Music Voice Plan is a new level of subscription that gives you access to all the songs, playlists and stations in
Apple Music using Siri
– Just ask Siri suggests music based on your history of listening and liking or disliking
– Play it Again gives you access to a list of your recently played music
– Memories redesigned with new interactive interface, new animation and transition styles and multiple image collages
– New types of memory include additional international holidays, children’s memories, trends over time and improved memories of pets
– Security communication setting gives parents the ability to provide alerts to children when receiving or sending photos containing nudity
– Safety warnings contain useful resources for children when receiving photos that contain nudity
Cheese and search
– Extended guidance in Siri, Spotlight and Safari search to help children and parents stay safe online and get help in insecure situations
– Digital Legacy allows you to designate people as legacy contacts so they can access your iCloud account and personal information in the event of your death
– The Store tab allows you to search, buy and rent movies and TV shows in one place
This release also includes the following enhancements for your Mac:
– Hide my email is available in the Mail app for iCloud + subscribers to create unique, random email addresses
-Actions allow you to see ticker currency and see performance from year to date when viewing charts
-Reminders and notes now allow you to delete or rename bookmarks
This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac:
– The desktop and screen saver may be blank after selecting photos from the photo library
– The trackpad may stop responding to touches or clicks
-External screens may not charge some MacBook Pro and MacBook Air when connected using Thunderbolt or USB-C
-Playing HDR videos on YouTube.com could cause panic on MacBook Pro 2021
-Menu bar menus can be obscured by the camera body on MacBook Pro 2021
-MagSafe may stop charging on 1621 1621-inch MacBook Pro computers when the lid is closed and the system is turned off
Separately, Apple also released iOS 15.2 for the iPhone and iPadOS 15.2 for the iPad, along with watchOS 8.3 for the Apple Watch and tvOS 15.2 for the Apple TV.
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.