APPLE NEWS

Apple, Google officially under investigation by the Japanese antitrust agency


Audiences support AppleInsider and can earn a commission when you shop through our links. These partnerships do not affect our editorial content.

Japan’s competition regulator is conducting a comprehensive investigation to determine whether Apple and Google have unfairly used their dominance over phones, smartwatches and other wearable items.

Following the launch of the Japanese government’s antitrust investigation against Apple and previous studies, the Fair Trade Commission is now considering the company. The Japanese FTC will compile a report on why competition has remained static and whether Apple and Google are using anti-competitive practices.

According to Nikkei Asia, commission secretary general Shuichi Sugahisa says the report will be based on interviews and surveys with users and developers.

The Japanese FTC will interview both Apple and Google. He will also work with the Japanese Government’s Digital Market Competition Council, another of four different competition surveys.

These investigations cover anti-competitive issues in cloud services, e-commerce and app stores, and digital advertising.

They are now also linked to Japan’s new Law on Improving the Transparency and Fairness of Digital Platforms. Officials have not yet decided that this act applies to the market of smartphones and wearable OS.

However, if they do, Apple and Google will have to submit to its terms. In particular, both companies will have to submit regular transaction reports to the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

Nikkei Asia reports that Apple’s iOS has nearly 70% of the local market, and Android makes up the majority of the remaining 30%. Separately, it was previously announced that Apple sold almost half of all smartphones in Japan in 2020.



Source link

Naveen Kumar

Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button