If you’re using Windows 11, you’ve probably often come across an annoying Onedrive sync message that pops up out of nowhere. Fortunately, Microsoft allows you to disable or remove it from the operating system. In this article, you will learn 6 ways to disable OneDrive in Windows 11. You can further improve your productivity in Windows 11 by using its hidden features.
Also, read | 3 ways to turn off startup sounds in Windows 11
Disable Microsoft OneDrive in Windows 11
Remove the permission for background applications and cancel the application
If you do not want to uninstall OneDrive from your system, but want to avoid its automatic startup, you must manually shut down the application and prevent it from running in the background. Follow these steps for an easy solution.
- Expand applications on the left sidebar and click on Applications and functions.
- Search OneDrive and open its properties by clicking Advanced options.
- Set Permission for background applications on Never and scroll further down the page.
- Click on Cancel button to exit any running instance in the system.
- That’s it. OneDrive will now not work on its own until you open it manually.
Remove OneDrive from Windows Startup Services
Windows startup services include a list of applications that run as soon as the system starts. Removing a OneDrive application from the launcher will ensure that the application does not start automatically at startup. Therefore, it will prevent the application from sending any unnecessary synchronization notification to the user. Follow these steps for a quick solution.
- Click on applications to expand options and select Startup.
- Find the OneDrive app and turn it off.
Uninstall Microsoft OneDrive
One of the most effective ways to avoid unnecessary sync notifications from OneDrive is to uninstall the app from the system. Follow these steps to remove Microsoft OneDrive from Windows 11.
- Open up Settings application on your device.
- Expand on the left sidebar applications and click on Applications and functions.
- Scroll down to locate OneDrive and click on three-dot icon in front of him.
- Click on Uninstall to remove an application from your system.
Use the Group Policy Editor to disable OneDrive
Group Policy Editor is a Windows administrative tool that helps the user personalize the Windows experience and important services. You can use this tool to disable OneDrive file storage. This will prevent the app from sending any sync notifications.
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows key + R at the same time.
- Tip ‘gpedit.msc’ and press enter.
- Go to the next one way:
Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> OneDrive
- Double click on Prevent using OneDrive to store files to open settings.
- Change settings to Disabled and click Ok.
Use Registry Editor to disable OneDrive
Another effective way to disable the Microsoft OneDrive application is with the help of Registry Editor. Follow these simple steps for a quick solution.
- Open the Run window by pressing at the same time Windows + R key combination.
- type ‘regedit‘and press enter.
- Click yes when you are asked to provide administrative access privileges.
- Go to the next one way:
Computer> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE> Policies> Microsoft> Windows> OneDrive
- If you can’t find the OneDrive folder here, then you have to create one in the Windows directory.
- Right-click the Windows folder and click New and then select The key.
- Name the key for OneDrive.
- Right-click on this newly created key and click New and then select DWORD (32-bit value).
- Rename this DWORD value to DisableFileSyncNGSC and then double-click on it to set its value.
- Enter a value for 1 and save the changes.
- That’s it. You have successfully disabled OneDrive file synchronization in Windows 11.
Bonus: Use the command line to kill and uninstall OneDrive
If you do not want to go into more technical details to uninstall the application, you can directly try to forcibly close and uninstall the OneDrive process to remove it from Windows 11.
- Open up Launch the window by pressing the Windows + R key combination.
- Tip cmd and press enter.
- Enter the following 2 commands one by one:
For a 32-bit system: taskkill / f / im OneDrive.exe
% SystemRoot% System32 OneDriveSetup.exe / uninstall
For a 64-bit system: taskkill / f / im OneDrive.exe
% SystemRoot% SysWOW64 OneDriveSetup.exe / uninstall
- The first command will force close process and the second command will Uninstall to.
- After executing the second command, you will receive pop-up uninstall window from OneDrive to uninstall the app. Follow the steps in the uninstall window to completely uninstall the application.
- Congratulations. You have successfully uninstalled OneDrive from Windows 11.
So, this is a pack for ‘6 Ways to Disable Microsoft OneDrive in Windows 11’. I hope you managed to disable it so that you are no longer bothered by unnecessary pop-up messages. If this article helped you, click the Like button and share this with your friends to help them increase their productivity. As always, stay with us for instructions like this.
You can also follow us for current technology news on Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or subscribe to the latest videos GadgetsToUse Youtube channel.
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.