The Facebook app is now cluttered with reels, known as short videos, that occasionally start playing in the feed. Facebook offers the option to hide reels, but they reappear the next time you open the app. Fortunately, we have a few simple solutions to block short videos from the platform. In this article, let’s take a look at four easy ways to remove or disable reels and short videos in the Facebook app.
Related [Working] 4 ways to read Facebook messages without being seen
Remove or disable reels and short videos in the Facebook app
Since Tiktok’s ban, several social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook and YouTube have been overwhelmed by the short video feature. Currently, the Facebook app displays short videos posted on Facebook and reels posted on Instagram.
While many people love these short videos for fun, those who use Facebook primarily for networking can be very embarrassed. Moreover, these videos usually have vulgar or inappropriate content that you may not want to appear on your feed.
Unfortunately, Facebook does not currently offer a dedicated option to disable short videos. There is a “hide” button in the three-point menu, but it is quite useless. However, it is still possible to get rid of the reels on the Facebook Android app using the methods below. Read on.
1. Use an old Facebook app
The easiest way to disable Facebook short videos is to use an older version of Facebook that does not support this feature. You may lose some new features or changes this way, but it’s true for people who can’t tolerate annoying videos.
Step 1 – Uninstall the current Facebook app
- Open the Google Play Store on your phone.
- Look for Facebook. Click on it.
- Touch Uninstall and reconfirm to remove it.
- Touch and hold the Facebook app icon.
- Click on Uninstall.
- Click on office to remove the application.
- Open up Settings on your Android phone.
- Navigate to Applications and notifications > Show all apps.
- Search Facebook and tap it.
- Touch Uninstall and remove the application.
The Facebook app is pre-installed on some devices. In that case, you will need to disable the application in the settings.
Step 2 – Install the old Facebook app on your phone
- Visit this link in your browser.
- Download the old Facebook version 300.0.0.51.129.
- Alternatively, you can download version 2184.108.40.206.119.
- Tap the APK and install it like any other application.
If you install APK, ie. loading the application for the first time, this may prevent you from doing so, citing security reasons. Just tap Settings and allow the browser to install the application from unknown sources.
Step 3- Turn off automatic updates for the Facebook app
- Open the Google Play Store on your phone.
- Search Facebook and click on it.
- Tap here menu with three points in the upper right corner.
- Please uncheck the box for Enable automatic updates to disable it.
2. Turn off autoplay for videos
If you’re fine with Facebook short videos appearing in your feed, but don’t want them to play automatically, simply turn off automatic video playback in the app settings. This can be done as follows:
- Open the Facebook app on your Android phone.
- Click on the burger menu in the upper right corner.
- Click on Settings and privacy > Settings.
- Scroll down and click Media.
- Below Autoplay, enable Never play videos.
Here’s more on how to stop autoplay on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Chrome.
3. Use Facebook in a browser
Another option is to use Facebook in your browser. Short videos and other extras such as audio and video rooms are not available on the Facebook page for mobile devices.
If you want a clean and cluttered Facebook experience, you can switch to the web version and create a quick shortcut on the home screen, as shown below.
- Open Google Chrome on your phone.
- Visit m.facebook.com and sign in with your account if you haven’t already.
- Touch menu with three points in the upper right corner.
- Click on Add to home screen.
4. Use third-party Facebook applications
If your use of Facebook in the browser is slow or slow, you can try your hand at Facebook clients. There are several third-party Facebook applications on the market that offer additional features and customization options.
Since most of these apps are web-wrappers (more like browsing Facebook in an add-on browser), you won’t see those annoying rolls or rooms here. Some of the popular Facebook clients include SlimSocial, Phoenix, Friendly Social Browser and more.
Bonus- Hide your Instagram reels from Facebook
As mentioned, Facebook also promotes Instagram reels on its platform. If you’re a ring creator and don’t want Facebook to display your videos in its app, follow the steps below:
- Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- Go on your own profile tab.
- Click on the hamburger menu here and tap Settings.
- Click on Privacy and select Reels.
- Disable the switch for Recommend on Facebook.
Enjoy the Facebook app without annoying short videos or reels
This was a quick guide on how you can remove or disable Facebook short videos or reels. I am currently using the old Facebook version. Anyway, what do you think is the best solution for blocking reels on Facebook? Let me know in the comments below. Follow us for more tips and tricks.
You can also follow us for current technology news on Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or subscribe to the latest videos GadgetsToUse Youtube channel.
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.