If your computer doesn’t have a microphone, don’t worry – you’re still lucky with your phone. A few free tools can make your Android phone function as a full-fledged microphone for your laptop or desktop. In this article, let’s take a look at three easy ways to use your Android phone as a microphone for your computer.
Related | Eliminate background noise in Zoom, Google Meet and MS teams
How to use an Android phone as a microphone for a computer
Most modern Android phones have quality microphones and can easily be used as a microphone for online video lessons or work meetings. In addition to other uses, such as recording sound, you can use your phone as a microphone or to play on your computer. All you need is a tool that can transfer sound from your phone’s microphone to your computer.
1. Using Wo Mic
WO Mic is a popular tool that can turn your phone into a microphone for your computer. It is completely free and can be used by anyone with the steps below.
Step 1- Install WoMic on your phone and computer
- To get started, download and install the Wo Mic client for computers on your computer.
- Then install the Wo Mic Android app on your phone from the Google Play Store.
- Open the Wo Mic app on your phone and computer.
Step 2- Make sure the Wo Mic device is working
- Press Win + X on your Windows computer.
- Select Device manager of the available options.
- Click here Audio, video and game controllers.
- You should see “Wo Mic device“Below him.
Step 3- Connect the phone
- Connect your phone to a computer with a USB cable. Make sure USB debugging is enabled.
- In the Wo Mic app on your phone, tap Play button in the upper right corner to start the server.
- Grant permission if you are asked to do so.
- On the Wo Mic desktop client, click Connection > Connect.
- Then select USB and click on Connect again.
- If prompted, accept the USB debugging authorization on your phone.
- If the connection fails, try again.
Step 4 Make sure your phone works as a microphone
- The Wo Mic app should now start transferring sound from your phone’s microphone to your computer.
- You can check the same in any recording or calling application.
- Alternatively, click Options in the Wo Mic desktop application. Select Play in the speaker.
- If everything is OK, you can hear the sound recorded by the phone’s microphone. Make sure the computer is not turned off.
You can connect Wo Mic to your phone via the other channels listed below.
- Bluetooth: Pair your phone with a computer if you haven’t already. Turn on Bluetooth on both your phone and computer.
- Wi-Fi: Turn on Wi-Fi on both your phone and computer and connect them to the same Wifi network or access point.
- Wi-Fi Direct: Turn on SoftAP on your phone and connect your computer to this access point.
You can change the connection method, control port, and sound source microphone in Wo Mic settings.
2. Using an EC microphone
EZ Mic is another free software that allows you to use your Android or iPhone as a microphone with your computer. You can use it as a replacement for Wo Mic.
Step 1- Install the EC microphone on your phone and computer
- Download and install the EZ Mic desktop client on your Mac or Windows PC.
- Then install the EZ Mic mobile app on your Android phone.
- Open the application on your phone and computer.
- You will now see the EZ Mic application on the Windows taskbar.
Step 2- Connect the phone
- Make sure both your phone and computer are on the same WiFi network.
- Tap on the phone Find in the EZ Mic application.
- Wait for it to find your computer.
- Touch the computer name when it appears.
- Allow access to the microphone if prompted.
- The computer icon should turn green after connecting.
Step 3- Make sure your phone’s microphone is working on your computer
To check if your phone’s microphone is working on your computer, you can try using any recording software or calling applications. However, there is another method, listed below:
- Open up Control panel on your computer.
- Click here Hardware and sound.
- Select Manage audio devices under the sound.
- Go to Recording card.
- Double click on the EZ microphone here.
- Go to Listen tab.
- Check the box for Listen to this device and hit Apply.
- You will now be able to hear the voice recorded by the phone on the computer.
- This means that the phone works well as an input microphone for the computer.
If you feel a lag, check the connection. Also, open Task Manager on your computer and set EZ Mic and related services to high priority.
Note: The free version of the EZ Mic shuts down every four minutes. You will have to reconnect it, which could be tedious. If you ever plan to buy a premium version, make sure the software works well on all your devices.
3. On video calling platforms like Google Meet, Zoom
Popular video calling platforms such as Google Meet, Microsoft Teams and Zoom allow you to join via phone sound. This gives you an alternative option of using your phone as a desktop microphone or laptop for video calls.
Zoom allows you to invite yourself to join the sound by phone or manually call an appointment. Similarly, on Google Meet, you can use join sound over a phone call, either before joining or during a meeting.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on using your phone as a speaker and microphone for Google Meet.
These were three easy ways to use your Android phone as a microphone for your computer. For me, Wo Mic worked best because it is easy to set up and can be connected via USB or wireless channels. Either way, other ways should serve as good enough alternatives if they don’t work properly. Let me know your experience in the comments below.
You can also follow us for current technology news at Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or subscribe to the latest reviewed videos GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.