Google has announced that it is bringing its “Locked Folder” for the Google Photos app to all users. Previously, this feature was limited to Pixel devices only. This announcement for all users begins the introduction of a feature that hides your private photos in a password-protected folder. In this article I will tell you how to use this feature to hide your private photos with a password and one bonus tip to do the same.
Also, read | Top 12 Google Photos Tips and Tricks You Must Know (2021)
Hide photos with a password
There are several versions available in the Apple Store and Play Store that allow you to hide sensitive media behind a locked folder. However, we’re talking about Google Photos here because most users use this app, and we’ll look at another way to do that.
Set up a locked Google Photos folder
To move photos to this folder, you must first upload them. Follow the steps below:
1. Open the Google Photos app on your phone.
2. Now tap “Library” on the options below.
3. On the next page, tap Utilities at the top.
4. Here you will see the “Locked folder” option in the “Organize your library” section. Touch it.
5. Now tap “Set Locked Folder” and then follow the on-screen instructions.
You will be prompted to enter a password or a lock screen pattern and set it as a lock screen password.
Move photos to a locked folder
Once you’ve set up a locked folder, you should also know how to later move photos to this folder.
- Go to the Photos tab and select the photos you want to hide.
2. In the upper right corner, tap the three-dot icon.
3. Select “Move to Locked Folder” from the menu, then tap “Move”.
Now your photos will be moved to this folder and you will need to use the lock screen password to view them.
Save directly from the Pixel camera to a locked folder
You can also set this folder as the default path for saving camera images to Pixel and Android phones. Follow these steps:
1. Open the camera app on your Pixel phone.
2. Touch “Photo Gallery” in the upper right corner, then select “Locked Folder”.
That’s it, now take a photo and it will be automatically saved in a locked folder.
You can save all your sensitive photos and videos in a locked folder and they will be password protected. Media saved in this folder will not appear on the Photos tab, in memory, or in search. Also, it will not show to other apps that have access to Photos.
Additional tip: Google Photos Archive
There is an alternative way to hide your photos in Google Photos. This way you also hide your personal sensitive photos from searches, memories as well as other apps, but there is only one drawback that they are not password protected.
However, you can still use this feature if the “locked folder” has not yet arrived on your phone. Follow the steps below to add photos to the Archive folder:
1. Open the Google Photos app and select the photos you want to hide on the Photos tab.
2. You can tap and hold photos to select multiple photos, then tap the three-point menu in the upper right corner.
3. Now tap “Archive” in the menu.
That’s it. These photos will now be moved to the Archive section. You can see them if you go to Library -> Archive. And if you want to unarchive any photo from there, just tap and hold to select and select “Unarchive” from the menu by tapping three points.
So here’s how you can hide your photos with a password in Google Photos. For more such tips and tricks follow us on social media!
You can also follow us for current technology news at Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Groupor subscribe to the latest videos GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.
Friendly communicator. Music maven. Explorer. Pop culture trailblazer. Social media practitioner.